Businesses have leveraged social media to scale up their profit margins, Meta, the parent company of Facebook and Instagram has upgraded tools and advancements that have aided the massive growth of companies, large or small.
Instagram boosts over 1.3 billion users with over 50% of these users actively using the platform every day; following a business page and making purchases of their Instagram feeds.
Business moguls like Kim Kardashian have established billion-dollar businesses off Instagram. Large and small businesses alike stand the chance to increase their profit margins if they maximize the tools available to them through social media.
Instagram has created various career options; social media managers, Instagram influencers and models, and creative directors among many other career choices. So how exactly do you set up an operational Instagram shop?
- Download the app from google play or the app store
To run a successful business account, download the app to ensure that management is fast, easy and efficient.
Ensure that your business is compliant with all the commercial standards or operating on Instagram to be eligible to operate.
Through these 8 easy steps, create a professional business account that’s an easy, faster way of serving your clients and responding to their needs and concerns.
All of these three critical steps can be done on your phone.
- Set up a professional business profile
Most businesses, particularly small ones, fail to take off with a steady momentum because little effort is put into curating the professional outlook of their businesses.
Branding is one of the most effective ways on increasing visibility among your clients and potential new ones. Make sure that your brand is authentic, visible and reliable.
This can be achieved through;
- Creating Thank You cards is such an intimate way of appreciating your clients. Sharing a personal, handwritten note on the card could sway the customer big time, making them repeat clients.
- Designing unique, creative and exclusive packaging bags that appeal to the interests of the clients could push the brand forward. For example, mentioning that your packaging bags are eco-friendly, recyclable and reusable will appeal to environmentalists.
- Introduce a client’s appreciation and highlight that on the business page. It’s important to seek their consent first, before sharing. Some users appreciate a shout-out and could in turn attract more customers.
- Post your products/ services
If you already have an active business, your clients will most likely enjoy this new venture, because it will allow them the opportunity to shop from the comfort of their homes.
Share your products/ services on the Instagram page using the simple steps illustrated.
The products can be shared in different forms; posts, stories, reels and carousels that are available on the app. Be certain to share these vital details for better engagement with clients;
- Return policy – let your customers know of your return policies if any and how to about it. This will most likely attract clients because the brand is quite responsible.
- Refund policy- Share with your customers the detailed circumstances under which a refund may or may not be made. This boost the brand’s image of accountability and responsibility.
- Client privilege- let your customers know of the privileges they get to enjoy from your brand for being repeat or first-time customers.
- Complaints and issues- curate a reliable and accountable means for customers to file complaints. Most users recommend responsible brands.
- Be part of socially responsible activities. For example; support an organization that distributes free sanitary towels to girls.
Be certain to add the shop tag on your products, to direct customers to your website or if you don’t have a website, instructions on how to make a purchase.
- Promote your business/ Design a marketing strategy
There are several ways to reach your potential clients and convert other users into potential clients.
Marketing and advertising play a huge role in the actualization of creating awareness and driving sales.
Besides using the common Instagram campaign ads, consider partnering with an influencer, and using relevant hashtags among many other options. Here are some hacks to promote your new shop;
- Use micro-influencers– these influencers have small, compact audiences that relate to what they do. therefore, it’s most likely that a handsome percentage of their followers could be your potential clients.
- Giveaways – conduct fun, engaging and entertaining giveaways with your followers that will prompt their followers to be curious about your brand.
- Celebrate and observe important dates – your customers most likely honour mothers’ day, or valentines day, share how your brand supports and celebrates these causes/days.
- Use trending hashtags – jump onto trends and make sure it relates to your brand and customers.
- Use the Q and A tag – engage with your customers freely by responding to their questions while making sales and promotions via the stories during the process.
- Increase your profile visibility by following potential clients
For small-scale businesses, focus on increasing your followers by following potential clients thereby increasing your market reach.
Give instant and reliable feedback to your customers in case they need it.
Respond to the wants and specific needs of your clients in forms that they will appreciate. I.e create a reel detailing how to make a purchase.
Appreciate your clients through mentions, and tags or offer free gifts to lucky winners.
- Build confidence in your clients
You are most likely to retain clients and get new ones if you establish a reputable brand.
This can be achieved through;
- Delivering quality products
- Making deliveries on time
- Prioritising customer satisfaction
- Quick and efficient responses to clients
- Share the reviews, critiques and suggestions of your customers with the public
- Seek the opinions of your customers through the platform and try to incorporate them into the business/brand.
- You could consider letting them in on the production process, and how that uniquely relates to your business.
- Payment options
Businesses need to make and receive payments while operating on Instagram.
For Instagram Ads, payment methods can be done via the platform.
For businesses, you need to create a variety of options that is user-friendly and convenient for your clients.
For example, businesses in Kenya are better off using Mpesa through the Buy Goods Till Option.
- Design a distribution means locally available to your clients
Most clients shy away from making purchases on Instagram because the delivery options offered by the business aren’t necessarily cost-friendly or easily accessible to them.
It’s prudent for businesses, especially small ones, to ensure that their products can be delivered locally to their clients. these could be both convenient and interesting by;
- Surprise your customers with in-person deliveries
- Tailor special notes or gifts on their special days
- Offer discounts for deliveries once in a while
For example; Pick-up Mtaani can efficiently serve Kenyans living in Nairobi.
Tips For Designing A Great Instagram Profile
7 Things That Will Get You Suspended From Instagram
Business: The Dark Side Of Personal Branding
Why Video Marketing is So Powerful For Business
Business: 6 Ways Of Getting High Quality, Actionable, Customer Feedback