Gnocchi is a traditional Italian dish, made from potatoes, flour, eggs and cheese, that has become popular all around the world. It is a type of dumpling, usually served as a side dish, but it can also be the main course. Gnocchi is usually cooked by boiling, then topped with sauce such as marinara, pesto, or cream sauce.
It is a very versatile dish, as it can be eaten as an appetizer or a main course. It is also straightforward to make, and can be cooked by simple boiling. It can be served with a variety of cheese-, vegetable- or meat-based sauces, making it a great, satisfying meal.
This potato-based pasta can be found in many Italian restaurants, and is a great way to enjoy traditional Italian cuisine. So if you are looking for a delicious Italian dish, look no further than gnocchi!
A little history of Italian gnocchi
Gnocchi has been around since the Middle Ages, and was traditionally made with semolina flour and water. However, any modern gnocchi recipe includes potatoes, eggs, and cheese, which make a creamier and more flavorful dish.
It is believed to have originated in Italy, but there are many variations of it all over the world. In Italy, it is often served with a variety of sauces, and can be prepared with different ingredients, such as spinach, beets, and pumpkin. In other countries, it is usually served with a tomato-based sauce.
Gnocchi is also popular because it is a great way to enjoy traditional Italian cuisine. It is a dish that is sure to please everyone, and is sure to be a hit at any dinner party or gathering.
This potato-based pasta is a very easy dish to make, and there are many different recipes available. Every recipe starts by boiling the potatoes and mashing them before adding the other ingredients. Once the mixture is combined, it is then rolled into small dumplings and boiled until cooked.
Making gnocchi is a great way to enjoy traditional Italian cuisine, and it will surely be a hit for you as a family cook.
Although the usual recipes usually learn to make gnocchi with potatoes, it can also be made with other ingredients, such as spinach, beets, and pumpkin, as mentioned above. Let’s stick to the traditional recipe.
- 2 lbs potatoes.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour.
- 2 eggs.
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- First, the potatoes must be boiled, then mashed and combined with the other ingredients.
- Then the mixture must be rolled into 10″ to 12″ long, 1/2″ diameter sticks over a floured table.
- Now, small (1″ long) dumplings must be cut from those sticks.
- In a large pot, put water with some salt to boil and cook the dumplings.
- Finally, the gnocchi can be topped with the sauce of your preference and served.
- Sprinkle a generous amount of Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese on top.
- When making gnocchi, use good quality potatoes, peel and clean them thoroughly before putting them to boil.
- Then make sure that the potatoes are completely cooked, as undercooked potatoes can make the gnocchi tough and chewy.
- Mash the cooked potatoes very well to make a soft puree that will blend perfectly with the flour and other ingredients.
- It is also important to use the right amount of flour, as too much flour can make the gnocchi heavy and dense and after being cooked they will feel harsh on the palate.
- Finally, it is important to cook the gnocchi when the water is boiling, as this will help it to maintain its shape.
A Recipe That Will Make You Stand Out