If somebody says “Mexico”, I bet the first thing that comes to your mind is tacos. And you are right! You picture them because they are one of the most typical dishes of this country, but they are also so tasty and flavorful!
Today, you are going to learn how to prepare tacos dorados. You are going to fall in love with them! Because they are as simple to prepare as typical tacos are, but with an interesting twist added.
But first, history
What are tacos? They are a Mexican dish which consists of a rolled or folded tortilla, filled with various mixtures, that can be red meat, chicken, beans, vegetables, amongst others. You can be creative with them.
As regards their origin, there are two theories: one states that the Spanish took tacos to Mexico with their invasions, and the other follows the idea that tacos were created by silver miners in the 18th century.
Let’s head off to the kitchen
If you are a Mexican cuisine lover, you are going to go mad with this tacos dorados recipe.
- 2 cups of white rice.
- 1 1/2 cup of canola oil.
- 2 onions.
- 6 cloves of garlic.
- 4 tablespoons of canned chipotles.
- A pinch of salt.
- A pinch of black pepper.
- 4 cups of vegetable broth.
- 2 cans of pinto beans.
- 2 cups of Monterey Jack cheese.
- 2 cups of Cotija cheese.
- 32 medium tortillas.
- 4 cups of rotisserie chicken.
- Firstly, preheat the oven to 425°F. Set a saucepan over medium heat and add 6 tablespoons of oil. Add the onion, the garlic and the chipotles and cook everything for about 5 minutes. Stir in white rice, salt and pepper. Cook until it is well coated.
- After that, stir in the broth and bring it to a simmer. Cover the saucepan with a lid and reduce the heat to low. Then, cook until the rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. It will take about 20 minutes. Take it out of the heat. Let stand, covered, for about 5 minutes. Fluff with a fork and let it cool.
- Meanwhile, pulse the beans in a food processor until they become smooth. Add the Monterey Jack and the Cotija cheese.
- Then, take 1/4 cup of the bean mixture and spread it down the center of each tortilla. Top it with chicken and the rice mixture. Roll it up and place the seam side down on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Brush with the remaining oil.
- Bake them until the tortillas are golden brown and the filling is heated through. It will take about 15 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy!
- You can prepare the classic avocado cream by processing an avocado, sour cream, lime juice, salt and pepper until the mixture is smooth. It makes a great difference!
- Always remember that, if you are a vegetarian, you can replace the rotisserie chicken for some beans. Or you can even change the recipe a little bit more and add some vegetables. You can let your mind be creative. That’s what cooking is about, isn’t it?
- Don’t you think these tacos dorados are the best option for a Saturday dinner with friends? Or even to pamper your couple with this exquisite dish and your favorite beverage?
- If you have children, you can also ask them to help you fill the tortillas and make the rolls. It can be a family plan!
They are all going to be amazed by this recipe as much as you are because the combination of the different flavors and textures will blow your mind. Tacos dorados have everything: the smoothness of the beans, the texture of the white rice, the flavor of the chipotles and the fun of eating the rolls!
How Much Do You Know About Italian Gnocchi?