A glass of milk a day will keep all the doctors at bay, okay maybe that is not exactly how the saying goes but close enough. When we were young drinking milk was encouraged, then we got older and all these theories started floating around about the negative impact of milk and how it would repel against any weight loss efforts etc.
I have watched my mom and other adults slowly reduce their milk intake as the years go by until it reaches a point where they take everything ‘bila maziwa.’ The thing is though, what is often forgotten about are the infinite benefits that this nutrient-packed, white substance has to offer. The coolest thing about milk is that its benefits transcend drinking it to using it on your skin, and other crazy ideas.
The benefits of milk on skin. Image from http://www.trendyapparels.info/get-rid-of-black-knees-elbows-and-underarms1. Excellent Cleanser. Have sensitive skin that seizes up at the thought of being touched by a traditional foamy cleanser? Padgett recommends trying out whole milk as your daily cleanser. “It’s gentle, yet effective in removing excess oil and makeup,” she says. Milk contains the right proportions of fat and moisture to feed and soothe your skin. Beauty: 6 Benefits Of Using Cleansers
2. Improves Complexion. Milk is great for improving the complexion. All you need to do is apply raw milk all over your face and neck and leave it for 10 minutes. Rinse off with fresh water. This will make your skin fairer and softer within minutes. You can also prepare a face pack by mixing 2 tablespoons of milk, 1 tablespoon honey and 1 tablespoon lemon juice. Apply this on clean skin and allow it to dry for ten minutes. This face pack acts as a mild and natural skin lightener. 5 Home Remedies For Skin Pigmentation
3. Strengthens the Hair. Did you notice that dry and damaged hair looks like dry grass or lifeless? You may have gotten this problem mainly due to lack of moisture and because you are not properly taking care of your hair. First of all, you have to notice the cause then choose a hair mask which completely gives your hair moisture and also conditions your hair.
I am sure a raw milk hair mask will boost your hair. You just need 3 tablespoons of raw milk, a half banana, 1 tablespoon honey, and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add them to a blender and make a smoothie. Now apply this raw milk and banana smoothie into your hair, just wait for 1 hour after that wash your hair with water.
4. Exfoliates skin cells: Beta hydroxyl is a lactic acid, a form of alpha hydroxy acid found in raw milk. This potent alpha hydroxyl acid mildly scrooges excess dead cells off the skin’s surface, revealing soft skin underneath. Beauty: 7 Benefits Of Exfoliating Your Skin
5. Drinking milk Benefits: regular consumption of milk ensures healthy and beautiful teeth, fingernails, hair, and skin. Milk is a good source of calcium and phosphorus which are essential to maintain healthy teeth. Calcium and zinc in the milk provide healthy growth of those beautiful, long fingernails. Benefits of going the milky way
6. Beauty Sleep. Isn’t it the most irritating thing when you get to bed and you toss and turn because sleep has all of a sudden disappeared? I mean to wake up in the morning as beautiful as you do you need your beauty sleep yeah? A cup of milk at bedtime is said to ensure a good night’s sleep. L-tryptophan, a substance in milk brings on drowsiness. The fresh ground cinnamon or ginger stirred into a cup of hot milk can also be antiseptic and warming. Can’t Sleep? How To Avoid Or Beat Insomnia
Shingai is an upcoming writer with a passion for words and expression through writing. She lived in Zimbabwe as a child and has traveled to over ten countries. She craves adventure and hopes to be an inspirational writer. She is currently pursuing a degree in English Literature with a minor in Psychology at Daystar University.