One of the leading causes of dark lips is hyperpigmentation. However, other factors can lead to your lips getting darker, like smoking, biting/licking your lips, or allergic reactions to toothpaste/lipstick. The shade of your lips can also change due to medical conditions like anaemia, vitamin deficiency, or cancer. You could also naturally have darker lips since everyone is born with a different lip colour. Luckily, there are natural remedies you can use to ensure that your lips become lighter, and you get that healthy pink shade.
Honey has been used over the years for beauty purposes. It is one of the best home remedies because not only does it lighten your lips, but it also moisturizes and leaves your lips feeling soft and looking plump. Health: 8 Benefits Of Honey You Should Know About
- Apply honey on your lips before bed and leave it overnight.
- The following morning, ensure you wipe your lips with a cloth dipped in warm water. You can do this every day for the best results.
2. Cucumber Juice
Cucumber juice contains antioxidant properties and a compound known as silica-rich. This compound helps to fade pigmentation and lighten dark lips. Food: 7 Health Benefits Of Cucumbers You Need To Know About
- Grind a few slices of cucumber and apply the paste to your lips.
- Leave it for 15-20 minutes and then rinse with warm water. You can do this twice daily.
3. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil contains moisturizing and emollient properties that help your lips to remain supple and soft. It also prevents them from getting dry. Skin dehydration is also one of the major causes of darker lips. 11 Reasons You Should Be Using Coconut Oil
- Take a small amount of coconut oil using your fingertips and apply it on your lips gently. Within a couple of weeks, you should be able to notice a change in your lip colour.
Beetroot contains vitamin c, which is known for its skin-lightening abilities. It decreases melanin production, therefore, reducing hyperpigmentation. This powerful vegetable is also an excellent hydrator. Health: 10 Reasons Why You Should Be Taking Beetroot
- Cut a few beetroot slices and store them in the fridge for about an hour.
- Take a slice and rub it on your lips for a few minutes.
- Wash your lips after 15-20 minutes. Repeat this process daily until you start to see some results.
5. Lemon and Sugar
Lemon is also one of the best natural remedies for skin blemishes. The fruit juice reduces skin pigmentation by breaking down melanin and curbing its overproduction. Sugar has exfoliation properties that help to get rid of dead skin cells. When combined, these two can work wonders on your lips. Health & Beauty: The Benefits Of Lemon
- Before heading to bed, slice a lemon in half and dip one of the slices in sugar. Rub your lips with the sugared lemon for a few minutes.
- Leave the extract on your lips overnight.
- The following morning rinse your lips with lukewarm water.
Berries are full of minerals, vitamins, and antioxidant properties that work together to lighten dark lips. You can use any berry of your choice, although the most preferred choices would be strawberries or raspberries. Lifestyle: The Benefits Of Berries And Some Of The Important Berries To Eat
- Make a paste by mixing five crushed berries with two spoons of baking soda. Apply this paste on your lips before bed, and then rinse with water the following morning.
- You can also mix berry juice with petroleum jelly and apply the mixture to your lips.
Pomegranate is a powerful fruit that contains vitamins and minerals. When used regularly, pomegranate can help to moisturize, nourish and lighten your lips. Health: The Benefits Of Pomegranates
- Mix one tablespoon of crushed pomegranate seeds with milk cream, rose water, or regular water to make a paste.
- Apply this mixture to your lips and gently scrub for a few minutes.
- Wash it off with lukewarm water.
Turmeric contains skin-enhancing abilities that help to reduce the effects of hyperpigmentation. It reduces excess melanin production and helps lighten your skin over time. Spices: The Many Benefits Of Turmeric
- Mix a teaspoon of turmeric powder with a bit of water.
- Apply the paste on your lips and allow it to dry.
- After some time, rinse with water. You can do this daily for effective results.
For more remedies, you can check out 5 Home Remedies For Skin Pigmentation
Tips on Preventing Dark Lips
There are a few things you can do to prevent your lips from getting darker like:
- Drinking plenty of water daily to avoid dehydration.
- Ensuring you avoid lipstick/ toothpaste that you might be allergic to.
- Exfoliating your lips regularly to remove dead skin cells
- Applying a bit of sunscreen regularly to prevent sun damage.
- Breaking the habit of sucking or licking your lips.
Here are other articles, you can check out
Skincare: Home Remedies For Chapped Lips
Lips Are Skin, Too: 5 Lip Care Tips for Softness and Volume
Skin & Beauty: How To Keep Your Lips Looking Luscious
Home Remedies For Dark Inner Thighs
Skincare: Home Remedies For Chapped Lips
Beauty: 7 Lip Liner Tricks For Fuller Lips
5 Juicing Recipes That Are Good For Your Skin