Lemon water has a range of benefits for the body. It helps break down food, keeps you hydrated, treats colds and supplies your body with enough vitamin C. However, consuming too much can have adverse side effects to your health.
Side Effects of Lemon Water
1. Causes Tooth Decay
Lemons are highly acidic, so consuming lemon water daily can cause hypersensitivity and strips your teeth of minerals which help to protect them against tooth decay. Symptoms Of Tooth Decay Or Cavities You Should Not Ignore
2. Constant Urination
The acidic content in lemons can irritate the bladder, leading to frequent washroom trips. Constant urination flushes out electrolytes from the body, which leads to dehydration, tiredness, dry lips and excess thirst.
3. Canker Sores
Canker sores typically appear under the tongue or inside the cheeks. They are usually white in colour and are often caused by vitamin deficiency, wearing braces and acidic foods. Drinking lemon water while you have a canker sore can worsen or cause more.
4. Triggers Ulcers
If taken daily, lemon water can cause severe damage to the stomach. Its acidic content harms the inner lining of the stomach and intestines, and this can trigger ulcers and heartburn.
5. Increases Iron Content
Iron is good for your body; however, excess amounts of iron can end up damaging your organs. Lemons are rich in vitamin C, which increases the absorption of non-heme iron in the body.
6. Risk of Cancer
Lemons contain psoralens which are carcinogenic and can cause cancer. Drinking lemon water excessively increases the risk of skin cancer like melanoma. A type of cancer that causes different sizes of moles to appear on the skin.
7. Triggers Migraines
Lemon and other citric fruits contain high levels of tyramine which triggers headaches and migraines. Health: Foods That Treat & Prevent Migraines
Best Way to Consume Lemon Water
If you enjoy taking lemon water, here are a few tips to remember to avoid dealing with the side effects.
- Use a straw instead of taking it directly from the cup. This will help to minimize acid exposure to your teeth. Also, once you are done, take a glass of plain water before washing your teeth.
- Ensure the water concentration is higher than the concentration of lemon juice. This will over-dilute the acidic content present.
- You can also add honey to minimize the acidic content of the lemon water.
- If you get frequent headaches, it is best not to drink more than half a cup of lemon water.
- Instead of taking lemon water daily, you can take it at least twice or thrice a week.
8 Ways To Ease The Symptoms Of Acidity
Health: Signs You Are Eating Too Much Sugar
Lifestyle: 6 Ways To Improve Your Gut Health
7 Amazing Things That Will Happen If You Drink Lemon Water Every Day