Have you ever met and interacted with someone who is much older and then when you find out their age you’re almost in disbelief? Sometimes it’s because of the young, childlike energy that they exude, and other times it is their skin. Some people have the best skin even when they’re much older, perhaps because they took good care of it when they were younger. Genetics can also play a big role in the quality of the skin. Whatever the case, it is what I aspire to achieve eventually when I’m older and I’m sure that I’m not alone.
Everybody would like to maintain a young vibrant face for the rest of their lives. The characteristics of such desired skin include even tone, smooth texture, enough moisture, and firmness. People go through great lengths to ensure that their skin remains healthy and firm. Aside from all the products that we spend money on to keep our skin looking young, there are also exercises that have been developed over time to help keep the skin vibrant. The best thing about these exercises is that they are free, and at the same time lead to the desired effects.
Here are the recommended facial exercises for anti-ageing.
- The V technique
The V-technique is particularly for the eyes. It is good for drooping eyelids, crow’s feet, eye bags and puffiness.
- Press both middle fingers together at the inner corner of the eyebrows, then with the index fingers, apply pressure to the outer corners of the eyebrows.
- Look to the ceiling, and raise the lower eyelids upwards to make a strong squint, and then relax.
- Repeat six more times and finish by squeezing eyes shut tightly for 10 seconds.
- Surprised face
This particular technique is used to smoothen out the forehead and thereby preventing wrinkles that form around that area. Just like the name of this technique implies, you are supposed to act surprised. By doing so you pool your skin outwards and therefore wrinkles do not form in that area.
- Raise your eyebrows in a surprised expression.
- Stretch them as high as you can.
- Open your mouth wide; stretch them as much as you can.
- Widen your eyes some more if possible.
- Repeat about 10 times.
- The Anti-bulldog technique
Excess weight has a tendency to show on the face. It collects along the jawline, leading to the sagging, jowly look characteristic of a bulldog hence the name, “bulldog’s cheeks.” The anti-bulldog technique is intended to help out with the lower part of the face. It’s a simple technique and yet very effective.
- Stretch your lower face to one side as much as possible.
- Hold it for 10 seconds. Repeat three times each day.
- Cheekbone lift
This particular method is effective in defining the cheekbones. In doing so you can get rid of the flabbiness around the cheek. A defined cheekbone structures the entire face and that’s why you might find this technique useful.
- Place your fingers over each cheekbone.
- Gently lift the skin.
- Open your mouth to form an elongated “O”.
- You should feel resistance in your cheek muscles.
- Hold for 5 seconds, repeat about 10 sets.
- Smooth the brow
Smooth the brow technique is intended to get rid of horizontal forehead lines. It is an alternative to botox treatment.
- Place both hands on the forehead facing inwards and spread all of the fingers out between the eyebrows and hairline.
- Gently sweep the fingers outwards across the forehead, applying light pressure to tighten the skin.
- Relax and repeat 10 times.
- The Smile Smoother
This technique is good for cheek lines and sagging skin. Most people prefer to have tight skin, and this method helps with that. It is an alternative to lower face-lift and fillers.
- Hide the teeth with the lips to make an ‘O’ shape with the mouth.
- Smile widely while keeping the teeth hidden and repeat six times.
- Next, hold the smile shape while placing one index finger on the chin. Then start to move the jaw up and down as the head tilts gently back.
- Relax and repeat twice more.
- Cheeky face
The cheeky face is intended to tone the skin and muscles. In this case, toned means structured. That is noticeable cheekbones and muscle definition.
- Sit or stand straight.
- Inhale deeply, blow your cheeks out and hold the air inside.
- Transfer the air from one cheek to the other.
- Hold for as long as possible before you expel the breath.
- Repeat this 8 or 10 times.
Here are Skincare tips for different age groups and Anti-ageing Foods You Should Include In Your Diet