Listerine is most well-known for its use as a mouthwash, promoting oral and dental health. People use Listerine to whiten teeth, prevent cavities, reverse signs of early gum disease, and just have fresh breath on the go. Here are other ways to use this mouthwash around the home.
Therapeutic and medicinal uses of Listerine
Listerine has antiseptic, antifungal, and sanitizing properties which make it useful for treating a variety of skin issues. Just dab some of it on the affected area to relieve pain and aid the skin’s healing process.
1. Helps heal bruises.
2. Helps relieve pain from a bee sting
3. Aids in healing blisters and cuts
4. Helps reduce acne and pimples. Beauty: How To Take Care Of Acne Prone Skin
5. Relieves itchy skin and is beneficial in treating jock itch.
6. Can be used as a deodorant fighting body odour to quickly freshen yourself. It can also be used to eliminate the smell from hands such as after cutting garlic.
7. Tattoo care. Prevent infection around the tattooed area by dabbing some Listerine around it. Tattoo Aftercare – 6 Tips To Help You Take Care Of A New Tattoo
8. Relieve itchy scalp and prevent dandruff by rubbing some in your scalp, letting it sit, and rinsing it off. Hair: 5 Ways To Relieve An Itchy Scalp
9. Kill head lice which are especially prevalent in children. Massage some Listerine in the hair, cover it in a shower cap for 2 hours then wash hair with a mild shampoo.
10. Soothe sore throats. Gargle some mouthwash daily and if it persists, consider seeking medical attention.
11. Soothe a toothache. Soak a cotton ball and place it on the gum next to the affected tooth. It will numb the affected area reducing the pain. Home Remedies To Help Relieve A Toothache
12. Whiten yellow nails. Soak your nails in a mixture of water and mouthwash and use a brush to clean your nails. 6 Home Remedies To Whiten Stained Nails
13. Eliminate stinky feet. Soak your feet in lukewarm water with 1 cup of mouthwash in it for 10 minutes. Alternatively, add an extra cup of white vinegar to the mix. Listerine is a bacteria killer that will freshen and smoothen your feet, soothing dry, cracked heels. It also cures toenail fungus and athlete’s foot.
14. Prevent fleas on your pets. Mix some into your dog’s shampoo or dilute it with water and spray it on them to avoid those dreaded fleas.
15. Remove a tick that has burrowed in your skin. Soak a paper towel in Listerine and place it over the affected area. The tick will move.
16. Eliminate mildew and fungus from the soil. Mix 1 part water and 3 parts water, put it in a spray bottle, and spray once a week in the area where the plant meets the soil.
Cleaning with Listerine
Listerine is valuable in cleaning a variety of areas from the bathroom to the kitchen.
17. Toothbrush sanitiser. Soak your toothbrush in Listerine to kill bacteria and prevent fungus.
18. Glass cleaner. Use it to make glass and surfaces like screens including TV and phone screens sparkle.
19. Clean mildew and mould. Soak a cloth or brush in the mouthwash then clean the affected areas.
20. Sanitize the toilet and bathroom. Listerine is an excellent sanitiser. Pour ½ a cup of mouthwash in your toilet and swirl it around with a brush. Allow it to sit for ½ an hour then flush.
21. Clean bathroom fixtures. Remove hard water stains and restore the shine in bathroom fixtures.
22. Garbage disposal. Pour ½ a cup of mouthwash down the drain for germ-free, odour-free garbage disposal.
23. Clean floors. Add 1 cup of mouthwash to your floor cleaning water to clean with it and disinfect your floors.
24. Sanitize your laundry. Listerine can remove harmful bacteria from your clothes. Add 1 cup of Listerine to your load of laundry. You can also add 1 cup of mouthwash to your washing machine and run an empty load to clean the device itself.
10 Mistakes To Avoid While Using Your Washing Machine
25. Clean cast iron pans. Use a splash of Listerine and some salt to clean cast iron pans. It cleans without stripping the cast iron’s coating.
26. Get rid of trash odour. Soak a paper towel with Listerine and place it in the bottom of the trash can to eliminate the odour and kill bacteria.
27. Keep flowers fresh. Add a capful of Listerine into the vase water to keep them looking fresh. 6 Ways To Preserve Your Flowers At Home
Check out other products you can use for house hacks.
Different uses of toothpaste in the home
Uses of cornstarch around the house
26 uses of shampoo around the house
22 Different Uses Of Baking Soda Around The House
5 Ways You Can Use Vinegar To Clean Around The House